Thursday, November 03, 2005

The wind still blows at Lemoine Point

I love a good clearing in the middle of the forest.
This is my first attempt to stitch together 3 photos.


A little black caterpillar was only about an inch long
and was a rufous brown underneath. I believe this is
the caterpillar of the Giant Leopard Moth.


Yet another tree oddity.


Tibetan prayer flags.
Nature imitating art.


Asian Lady Beetle
(Harmonia Axyridis)


Get used to pictures of these guys because this is about
all thats left of birds at the Point until Spring.

It was a windy day at the Point. Winds of 35 kph with gusts much stronger. However, it was warm and sunny an otherwise pleasant day to be out. Birding has dropped off considerably. I only saw Chickadees, Dark Eyed Juncos, Blue Jays, Gulls, and Robins. I am now going through the process of acceptance that this will be about it until Spring. I am still carrying the scope around with me but had no opportunity to use it today. I found some interesting late season mushrooms, some Asian Lady Beetles, a black hairy caterpillar, and some interesting trees and plants that I photographed for future identification. You'll see them as I get them identified. In the meantime its in to work for the weekend. Down time at work will be spent with Sibley's, Hawks in Flight, and Dawkin's "The Blind Watchmaker."

No comments: