Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Amherst Island

I had a very nice day over at Amherst Island today. When I looked at the Weather Network it said Drizzle all day but when I looked at the radar it showed very little chance of precipitation. General rule of thumb: When birding always take the most favourable weather report as the most likely scenario! I didn't add anything to my list today but really enjoyed the excursion. First observation was a Red-Tailed Hawk down the end of the island near the KFN property. I was hoping on the drive around to see the Lapland Longspur but couldn't find it. Heading back towards the Ferry I spotted a Northern Harrier, flying low along a field, white spot on the rump, hunting away. I was able to get out of the car and set up the Scope and watch him for quite a while. Then I drove to the Owl Woods site and got some pictures of an Eastern Phoebe and a Downy Woodpecker. In the Owl Woods themselves I found a Northern Flicker but nothing else of interest. On the way out I was able to stop the car and watch another Northern Harrier through the scope while he hunted the field beside the road. A short time after he left a Great Blue Heron came in quite low across the field, which I thought was strange - was he trying to get in under the radar of the hawk?
Back to work tomorrow, once again the employer wins out over the birder - but the weekend is coming!

No comments: