Friday, October 28, 2005

Amherst Island

It was cool and cloudy this morning when I caught the 8:30 AM ferry over to the Island. My first stop was the KFN property at the east end of the island. There was a raft of Red Breasted Mergansers, a Northern Harrier Hawk hunting the open fields, a lone Red-winged Blackbird, and a few Starlings. I was unable to find the Lapland Longspur. I did see a sparrow sized bird flying away from me with a mostly white back (not sure what it was).

In Owl Woods I found a Barred Owl, Fox Sparrows, White Throated Sparrows, and in the Owl Woods proper 3 Long Eared Owls. Some frustration was experienced with Chickadees (who were running most of the activity on the walk in) and Blue Jays who had taken control of Owl Woods and announced my arrival everywhere despite trying to be as quiet as possible. Does anyone have a good recipe for Chickadee?

No comments: